Friday, December 21, 2012

Castaway Cay 5k

Jenny and I recently took a cruise on the Disney Dream.  It was our first cruise on the Dream so it allowed us to have cruised on all of the Disney ships because we were on the Maiden voyage of the Fantasy this spring!  One of the things we really wanted to do on this cruise was to run the Castaway Cay 5k.  We were hoping for a nice cool December morning in the Bahamas to run this.

On Saturday December 8th we met up with the people running the 5k on the ship and then began the walk onto the island.  Unfortunately we got separated from the rest of the group so when we got ashore we didn't see anyone else.  we walked over the the bike rental location where we were told the race would start but nobody was there.  We decided to wait to see if anyone would show up.  After about 15 minutes the rest of the group arrived.  Apparently we missed getting into a group picture.

Once everyone arrived we started the race.  The nice cool weather we were hoping for was definitly not happening.  It was in the 70s at 9AM and the humidity was high.  I started out running way too fast and after a mile I was feeling the heat.  I backed off and stopped at the water stop for a quick drink.  I kept running, but the heat and all the food we were eating caught up to me and I actually had to walk at about 2 miles into the run.  I ran the last half mile, but the distance was well under a 5k and my time was not great at 32:11.  It was fun though and it was a free race with a nice bib!

No comments:

Post a Comment